Joe Hoffmann, Media Relations Manager
WARRENSBURG – Two Mules starters returned to the lineup to lead UCM to a win in their final game of the 2018 calendar year. Jafar Kinsey and Matt Wilkinson came back to score a combined 28 points in the Mules 86-71 win over Avila.
How it Happened
• Central Missouri never trailed and led by as many as 32 early in the second half, as they ran away from Avila for a 15 point win.
• The Mules were deadly all afternoon from three, making 17 of their 29 buckets from beyond the arc and hit 56.7% for the game.
• UCM won the rebounding battle 31-28, but the Eagles outscored UCM 14-7 on second chance points and had 13 offensive boards.
• The game started with the Mules raining threes. They hit eight of their first nine and less than 10 minutes in, built a double-digit lead, after a three from Michael Winger.
• Leading by one, 17-16, the Mules splashed three straight threes, from James Byrd, Kinsey and Winger to start a 19-5 run and pull away.
• Wilkinson knocked in a layup in the final seconds and the Mules had their largest lead, 53-30 at the break.
• Central Missouri started the second half on a 9-0 run, taking a 32-point lead, 62-30 less than three minutes into the half.
• The Eagles played hard until the end, hitting five second half threes and bringing a 32-point lead down to 15 by the end of the game.
It Was Over When…
• The Mules had a sizable 23 point lead at the break, but scoring nine straight to start the second half set the tone that there wouldn’t be any comeback this afternoon.
Mules Stat Leaders
• Matt Wilkinson’s 16 points were a game-high. He also grabbed four boards, blocked two shots and came away with three steals.
• Brandon Emmert came off the bench to score 12 points and pick up a team-high tying five rebounds.
• Michael Winger added 12 points with four three-pointers.
• Gaven Pinkley added 11 points and five rebounds while James Byrd scored 10 and dished out four assists.
• In just 16 minutes, Jafar Kinsey scored nine points, pulled down five rebounds and dished out three assists.
For the Eagles
• Brandon Phillips and Deamonte Sykes shared the team lead with 14 points. Sykes also had a team-high six rebounds.
• Izai Clark scored 12 points and was 5-8 from the field.
• Carter Wildey knocked in three triples wand scored 11 points. Trey Heinrich added 10 points with four assists.
News and Notes
• Jafar Kinsey returned after missing the previous two games, while Matt Wilkinson was sidelined for a game.
• Central Missouri has won two straight for the first time since their four-game winning streak to start the season.
• This is the third time the Mules have reached 80 points in a game. They are 3-0 in those games.
• The Mules 56.7% three-point percentage is a season-best.
• Central Missouri stays home to take on MIAA foe Fort Hays State Thursday, Jan. 3, 2019 for their first game of 2019.