Missouri S&T Athletics
John Kean, Sports Information Director
ROLLA – For the first time since the 2012 season, Missouri S&T’s football team finds itself among the top 10 teams in an NCAA regional ranking as the Miners are 10thin the second edition of the Super Region 3 rankings released Monday.
The Miners are 7-2 overall but 7-1 in games against NCAA Division II competition, including a perfect 4-0 record on the road in those games. S&T’s only loss to a Division II opponent came earlier this month to Indianapolis, who is currently ranked fifth in the region and is the only other Great Lakes Valley Conference team among the top 10.
The top seven teams will make the national playoff field, which will be announced on Sunday, Nov. 11, one day after the Miners finish their season at home against Truman State. Prior to that, Missouri S&T will head to the road Saturday to face McKendree.
The first seven spots in the Super Region 3 rankings – which consist of teams from the GLVC, Great American Conference, Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference and Mid-America Intercollegiate Athletics Association – remained the same as they did following last week’s initial ranking.
Ferris State is the top team in the rankings, followed by the only other undefeated team in the region, Ouachita Baptist. Grand Valley State is third with its only loss coming at the hands of Ferris State, while Northwest Missouri State is fourth and UIndy fifth. The sixth spot is currently held by Southern Arkansas, while Fort Hays State sits in seventh.
Southern Arkansas and Fort Hays State both have huge games on their schedules this weekend, as SAU faces Ouachita Baptist and Fort Hays State has a date with Northwest Missouri State.
Pittsburg State and Harding occupy the two spots immediately ahead of the Miners.
NCAA Division II Super Region 3 Rankings (Oct. 29, 2018)
1. Ferris State (Mich), 9-0 – hosts Davenport Saturday
2. Ouachita Baptist (Ark.), 9-0 – hosts Southern Arkansas Saturday
3. Grand Valley State (Mich.), 8-1 – hosts Ashland Saturday
4. Northwest Missouri State, 8-1 – hosts Fort Hays State Saturday
5. Indianapolis (Ind.), 7-1 – plays at Truman State Saturday
6. Southern Arkansas, 8-1 – plays at Ouachita Baptist Saturday
7. Fort Hays State (Kan.), 7-2 – plays at Northwest Missouri State Saturday
8. Pittsburg State (Kan.), 7-2 – hosts Washburn Saturday
9. Harding (Ark.), 7-2 – hosts Southeastern Oklahoma State Saturday
10. Missouri S&T, 7-1 – plays at McKendree Saturday